How dangerous can hand sanitizer gel be?

How dangerous can hand sanitizer gel be?
How dangerous can hand sanitizer gel be?

We all know how important it is to wash our hands frequently with antibacterial soap to avoid contracting a viral or bacterial infection. When we don't have this opportunity and we are out somewhere, antibacterial wipes However, there is also a problem with them, because there is not always a place to throw them away instead of taking them with us. And by touching them after using them, we return the bacteria back to our hands.

One of the most convenient solutions is the disinfectant gel. It kills bacteria and dries, evaporates within seconds, leaving hands clean.

However, when does this gel become a he alth hazard?

Maybe most people think that hand sanitizers are the same, but they are not. There are some important things to consider before using a disinfectant.

First and most important is that the product contains a minimum of 60% alcohol. This type of gel-disinfectant is the most effective in fighting germs, as alcohol-based products kill almost 90% of pathogens on the skin.

Non-alcohol-based disinfectants, on the other hand, can be not only useless, but even more dangerous, as in many cases they contain the ingredient triclosan, which acts as a synthetic disinfectant.

Studies show that triclosan increases the risk of endocrine problems, the risk of cancer and also creates conditions for the bacteria themselves to develop resistance to disinfectant products.

According to the US Food and Drug Administration, high doses of triclosan taken through repeated daily consumption of hand sanitizers increase thyroid hormone levels. This makes pathogens resistant to antibiotics, scientists believe.

That's why it's especially important to use soap and water for hand sanitizing instead of alternative products whenever possible. If you do use them, read the labels carefully.

Popular topic